Re: JVC RS60 bad calibration results
I just went back and tried the new CalMAN auto calibration on the RS60. Ugh. What a frustrating experience.
I had used the auto cal feature with CalMAN’s CalPC and liked it, and I had used the interactive (semi-auto) calibration on an Iscan Duo, which worked great.
However, on the RS60, all the bugs remained which severely confused CalMAN’s auto cal logic.
First I again tried the ISF modes, but the multipoint GS/gamma controls in CM were grayed out. I tried THX, but it only gave the option of the undersaturated THX color profile. So I used one of the user modes.
For some reason, when I would change a control with CM it would register in the PJ except for the color profile selection. I kept selecting Stage in CM, but the PJ kept showing it was in the 3D color profile. I just manually changed it to stage in the PJ.
Then came what I expected to be the fun part. I let it loose with the 10 point GS/gamma automatic adjustment. Things seemed to progress fairly well, and I was happy with how CM started at the top and worked it’s way down the luminance range, adjusting GS and gamma and moving on to the next step when it got a good result. However, after CM was done and it thought it had a good result, I manually ran the measurements and found GS/gamma were maybe only a little better and still pretty much all over the place. Taking a second pass didn’t seem to help much, probably because of the funky interaction of the RS60. I then decided maybe I didn’t help it out enough, since I didn’t use the 2 pt GS sliders before running auto cal. Did that and it seemed to help just a bit. After running auto cal again, I tried to spot tweak as best as I could, having CM auto cal only the worst areas. Like if 60% had a big red spike and a large gamma deviation, I’d just pull CM’s gamma slider at 60% and have it re do that band. That worked a little, but each spot tweak would mess up the adjacent bands. I finally, after much frustration and repeating, got a decent result. I moved on to CMS.
That’s where things really fell apart and the auto cal was totally and utterly worthless. Due to the RS60’s flickering when CMS is updated, sometimes CM didn’t get good readings. Observing the action scroll indicator in CM, sometimes CM seemed like it waited until the flicker stopped before taking the reading, but sometimes it didn’t and it tried to read a blank screen as a result. I tried turning on the LLH and upping the LLH trigger so every reading used it, but that just made things agonizingly sluggish and didn’t improve things. Possibly because there was still the majorly buggy CMS adjustment behavior of the RS60, where a large adjustment would seem to have no impact, then a small adjustment to a different control suddenly made the previous large adjustment take effect. Or so it seemed. Round and round I went. Letting CM do it automatically resulted in a white pinkish/extremely pale red among other things, and it couldn’t get hardly anything right before it gave up and moved to the next color. No amount or technique of spot tweaking was successful. I had to do the CMS manually, which was still plenty frustrating thanks to the super buggy controls.
I then remeasured the GS and surprise, it was now off and needed retweaking. And it was verified with both my master i1Pro meter and my profiled C5E meter, so it wasn’t the CMS work messing up the meter profile. So, I redid the GS, and many passes and many, many spot tweaks later, had a result that was about as good as what I came up with doing everything manually in the user menu.
I think the problems were much more JVC’s fault than CalMAN’s, though I can’t see how CM released this without seeing all the problems.