JVC RS60 bad calibration results

JVC RS60 bad calibration results

Home Forums Calibration Discussion By Brand JVC RS60 bad calibration results

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I did an RS60 yesterday, with worse results than expected seeing as how I was very happy with the previous models.
    Out of the box THX performance was somewhat poor, with undersaturated color points, poor gamma, and poor grayscale tracking.
    The THX software allowed me to ajust the gamma like always, and would have probably allowed grayscale flattening if I’d have spent more time with it. But it started out with undersaturated colors, and would not allow me to either expand the color points through adjustments or switch the color preset to a more saturated one.
    ISF software allowed VERY buggy gamut/saturation adjustment, but the gamma adjustment didn’t work!
    Ended up using the ISF program since I felt the orangish red was more serious than the poor gamma.
    Is JVC going to fix these issues? Any advice?

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Chad,
    I think I know why the Calman autocal is working so poorly for you. You cannot leave Contrast at default. Sure there is no white crush or color shift present with the HiLo Track plus it may already be bright enough. Never-the-less, make sure you increase contrast. Once I put contrast at +7, rechecked my brightness and THEN autocalled, the gamma and GS results were INSANELY perfect. The first time (before I increased Contrast), I autocalled and all looked great on the graph until I checked with a staircase pattern and saw the train wreck…like you said, the autocal fixes one IRE and trashes it’s neighbors and tells you all is fine so you have to double check for it…but I am telling you the key is to set that white level higher and all will finally work as it should.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I did that. First I had to switch the HDMI levels so the PJ would show BTB and WTW, then I ended up decreasing brightness to somewhere around -7 and increasing contrast to somewhere around +14 (going by memory).

Gregg Loewen
    Keymaster

hi guys
    Try the ISF software.
    The THX software will not allow for expanding the color gamut (for now anyways).

Gregg Loewen
    Keymaster

stay tuned…Im still looking

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ISF software may be the DDC control that is part of Calman now. I don’t know if the old ISF software for the 25/35 units will work here.

Regards

Gregg Loewen
    Keymaster

Here is the new ISF software

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Gregg. Last time I tried the ISF software, it didn’t allow multipoint gamma/gs adjustment.

I think some people may be getting fooled into thinking the CalMAN auto cal is working well, because after it’s done the resulting graphs look superb. However, that is not representative of how it actually behaves. It needs to be rechecked because of the interaction.

Gregg Loewen
    Keymaster

Chad, good to know.
    In the gamma section of the software, you have to write to the PJ after you make the adjustment.
    (vs the other settings that are done in real time).

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.