Reference Video Material

Reference Video Material

Home Forums General Chit Chat and Other Stuff Reference Video Material

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey guys,
    for a couple of years now, I’ve wanted to have a portable HD source device to take with me when calibrating. This way, the reference video will be from the same device every time. Of course, using the customer’s dvd or blueray player would be used as well, but this way I would be using the same source device as well as material to give me a visual of before and after.
    I’ve seen a Western Digital DVR that will output 1080p over HDMI. Thought about giving it a try and downloading my own source material to it.
    What are some of your ways of generating source video that is the same every time? Not just patterns, but video.

Thanks
    Clint

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I still use my version of the reference DVD. It always gets tested on every client’s TV before I start to hand things back to them. The final judge.

I’m working on a Blu version of this that I can pass off to the clients. It doesn’t have to be a long segment and the 25 minute limitation of a DVD for HD material should more than suffice.

regards

Anonymous
    Inactive

Michael, thanks for the reply. Of course the end result is that the customer will be using there own equipment, but I always wondered if it would be beneficial to use the same source as well as DVD to judge the before and after. With that being said, I also know that the customer’s DVD player may have different picture settings than my “reference” source player. But atleast I would know that if the display doesn’t look great, then by bringing my own source would help me determine whether the problem is the display, the source or the calibration.

Thanks
    Clint

Anonymous
    Inactive

Both gregg and I have found the PS3 to give images that match closely to the 403 generator. You could always find a suitable BD player that does likewise and use that as a reference.

There are ample HD clips off the net that would work on those Media boxes. I usually go for manufacturer demos … as you know that they always look good and in a certain way …

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Reference Video Material’ is closed to new replies.