Samsung HU7500/HU8500 Flesh Tone Control

Samsung HU7500/HU8500 Flesh Tone Control

Home Forums Calibration Discussion By Brand Samsung HU7500/HU8500 Flesh Tone Control

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys, Vincent Teoh at HDTVTest is claiming insider knowledge about getting skin tones right on the Samsung JS9500/ JS9000/HU7500/8500 TVs: “Through our meetings with R&D engineers from various TV manufacturers, as well as countless hours of experimenting and testing, we’ve discovered a few “trade secrets” to significantly improve the image quality of popular TV models, which may or may not be known to other ISF or THX calibrators.” He further claims as a result of this that “The correct [Flesh Tone] setting for Samsung TVs (if your calibrator left it at “0“, he’s done it wrong);”

I’m getting an increasing number of potential clients who are taking these flesh tone adjustment claims as gospel and are demanding to know whether I do it before booking a calibration. What’s your opinion? Does anyone else use the Flesh Tone control on JS9500/ JS9000/HU7500/HU8500? Is anyone aware of any instruction from Samsung that this needs to be done? Or is this BS?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]316[/ATTACH]

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Gregg Loewen
    Keymaster

Hi julian!
    Easy to test….just use the color checker patterns in ChromaPure or Calman. The patterns measure the deltaE values of 18 different flesh tones.
    When you do a calibration do the measurements with and without the flesh tone adjustment in place. This would be a very easy test to scientifically verify whether Vincent if FOS or not (Im guessing that he is).

On a related note….if he really knew his S@@@ he would already be using the colorchecker to verify and quantify his claims.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a very strongly worded sales pitch. The “Flesh Tone” control can massage some of the orange colors a little but the improvement was just a couple of dE the last time I tried it. It’s not like any recent Samsung display has poor color linearity to start with.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheers David

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with the above. In recent Samsung models, the control adjusts the hue of the skin tone color checker patterns. In earlier plasma models (I think a Samsung D7000 and similar) it controls the saturation of the skin tone patterns.
    So run a series of skin tone color checker patterns, and look at a graph that shows delta Hue in which direction (one direction toward yellow, other direction toward magenta). If most of the patches are leaning toward yellow, use the skin tone control to shift them toward magenta or vice versa. The control has no impact on normal primary/secondary saturation sweeps.

I have been using this control for a while when necessary, but it’s not always necessary; sometimes the overall delta Hue readings are already evenly distributed toward yellow or magenta.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.