Sharp Elite 70" LCD (PRO70X5FD)

Sharp Elite 70" LCD (PRO70X5FD)

Home Forums Calibration Discussion By Brand Sharp Elite 70" LCD (PRO70X5FD)

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Last Friday I worked on a new Sharp Elite 70″ LCD (PRO70X5FD).

Results:
    I got things dialed in pretty well (report attached) minus some things where the CMS system didn’t seem to be working. Red and blue didn’t seem respond at all and green took the entire range before it came in. Secondaries responded well to HUE but not saturation. Level adjustments worked well for all colors that I needed to use it on although blue was really jumpy.

According to the Sharp calibration guide posted for the TV (SM section of thxvideotech.com) it states not to touch the main Color and Tint settings and only to use the CMS system. I followed those instructions.

The issue I was left with was that while most HD material like HBO HD, Discovery HD and BluRay looked pretty good. But on all the talk shows, news casts, ESPN and such everyone had a lobster skin sunburn. This was part of the reason that they had the calibration done in the first place. It was improved somewhat by lowering the RED Saturation but was still annoying. I coached the client a little bit regarding source quality issues but was hoping that you might have some further advice for me regarding this issue.

The settings were all zeroed when I started. Post calibration settings are on the bottom of the report. The set is in Standard Mode and cool or cold or whatever it was called on this set. All automatic processing things are off except Noise Reduction and 120Hz are set to low.

Thanks,
    Jon

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My experience with the Sharp Quattron sets (we do not have the particular Elite here in Malaysia) has been that u can make the charts look good for 100% saturated colours but when viewing actual pictures, the picture is off. The colours inside the CIE are where the problem lies, particularly in cyan and red. What I found works is use either Calman or Chromapures option of calibrating at 75% saturation, 75% luminance (use the CMS) and get them correct. Pictures look much better (u cannot get them all perfect anyway) when these points hit closer to target. The problem with this is that when u do a post cal check (and u check the 100% sat points), the report does not look good.

The past 4 quattrons that I calibrated, I showed the owners that I can get him perfect charts, then showed him some scenes that show flesh tones, grass and sky shots, then calibrated to 75% saturation points and showed him the differences between the two. All the owners chose to forego the perfect charts and went with the calibrated settings from the 75%sat, 75% luminance option.

For the Asian sets, the other bug was that the 10 point white balance was not a subset of the 2 point controls. The use of the 10point cause too much problems in the low end that I stuck with the 2 point. The other thing to watch out for is to calibrate after setting the Aquomotion as each one has different peak luminance and although this is a LCD, windows vs full fields (behaves like plasmas) do not match depending on ur Aquomotion selection. Its a challenging set to get correct, at least in the Asian region.

Again, these are the Asian sets, however, the colour performances of the Elites seems to mimic what I saw in Asia.

Not a big fan of the 4 colour pixels.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It appears that 70″ Elite production units dated November 2012 may all have a very peculiar uniformity problem…. divide the panel into 3 equal-size vertical bars, then split the screen down the center so there are 6 equal-size rectangles… 3 of the rectangles will be off-color compared to the others… green-tints and magenta-tints seem to dominate the problem. The boundaries of the discolored areas are very sharp, not like “clouds”, more like “hard” edges. 3 units unboxed and tested all showed the same issue and all had the same manufacture date.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.